Last week, for me, was a busy one here on the plains.
I made the dreaded trip to the big town, where I gathered our monthly ration of goods. OOh, how I deeply dislike this trip! It's almost painful for me to drag myself to town and spend a significant amount of our MuLa on food and necessities. Like it or not, it must be done. I'm not a shopper, I'm a "get in, get exactly what I need, and get the heck OUT" kinda gal! If I plan just right, I can manage to make the trip with only one child in tow. Although, if the instant arises that I must tote both girls alone, Heaven help us ALL! Thankfully, I can still keep baby Rein contained in her carrier. Rylie Ann, on the other hand, is too big to fit in the basket with the future purchases. So, she is either hanging on the overloaded basket, making it much harder to maneuver, or weaving in and out of the crazies that inhabit my favorite "one stop shop". By the time I leave I'm praying for an hour long coma to overcome the little beauties in my back seat as we travel home, hoping that upon arrival a 55 gallon chillton is awaiting me. On rare occasions, one of the two will happen and I will be blessed with a quite trip home. Then as we slide into home base, I usually discover I've missed a thing or two on my list. Rest assured that I can do with out until next trip, I seem to conform to this naturally.
That evening My Luvin' Man returned from a long day punchin' cows and enlighten me, that the reason I wasn't able to contact him most of the day, wasn't bad service, he had lost his cellar device while roping and doctoring calves. DERN! We loaded up our bunch in the single cab, less than clean, feed wagon and head out to find it! The little beauties both had big days in town and at school, so it didn't take them long to be rocked to sleep in the rough riding F-550. When we arrived to the glorious Mills pasture, I spent some time OOOO-ing and AWWW-ing over all the playful calves darting across the pasture. Then My Luvin' Man and I proceeded walking and trying to retrace the steps he made while tracking a quick calf. We had no luck and at that time we decide we need more daylight and horses to make our hunt easier.
The next morning baby Rein and I took Sister to school and drove over to continue our search. Rein and I were mounted on our kid horse, Boomer. (Better safe than sorry with a lil girl aboard!) We then searched high and low looking for his fairly new phone, which we did not find. It was chalked up to LOST FOOORRRREVERRRRR and we continued through the pasture checking calves. My Luvin' Man pulled out his healing powers and used them on one puney lil guy, whom of which I should ask about. Midway through the herd I realized that my co-passenger was taking the opportunity to nap on Mama. We finished up, loaded our four legged friends, and headed in for lunch.
Later in the week we ventured back the to ranch, my first close encounter with headquarters. This headquarters is only inhabited by the oil drenched family for small times of the year. There are two houses. The old house made my heart PUTTER!!! It's like the house and the surroundings were plucked from my dreams. The precious house was locked up like a fort, but I may have OR not have peeped into the windows. I instantly had the entire place decorated, filled with all my junk, potted flowers along the porch and myself rocking there, while watching my children play in the yard. After I came back to reality and over came the heart break that I would never live there, we threw Rylie on Boomer and set her off on her own adventure. My Luvin' Man cleaned out water tanks that are fixed through out the pens, these will be in use while dragging calves. Baby Rein and I kept an eye on both, we were the supervisors you see. After the job was done we hung out, played, and then drug ourselves home.
The weekend was a nice one, even though I had to take Rylie to her Dad/family to spend the weekend in Lubbock. It makes it all worth it when she has a wonderful time absorbing her Grandma's love! Nothing better. The rest of that story I won't get into here. Mothers Day was wonderful. My Luvin' Man was able to get off early on Sunday to make the drive with me to get Rylie. He had flowers and cards behind his back when I arrived to get him. He also got me a new pair of spur leathers, which I love!!! I spent the day with my lil family, we talked to our Mom's and wish them a good day, and I got to pick up my ornery lil gal. It was fabulous!
This next week brings more busy doings, we have cowboys coming in to drag calves, which the first share will last 7 days. I know one cowboy that will be worn out when it's all said and done.... don't tell him I said that.
from where the antelope play,
~C~
Jealous...yes, very jealous.
ReplyDeleteLove ya'll!!!